
Scunthorpe United defender Jonathan Joucher (Image: undefined)
A non-league footballer who was stabbed seven times in a frenzied attack on a train last year has spoken publicly for the first time about his horrific ordeal. Scunthorpe United defender Jonathan Joshet was among 11 people seriously injured when Anthony Williams stormed out on a train traveling through Cambridgeshire.
The November 1 incident made headlines around the world, and Williams was charged with 10 counts of attempted murder and was scheduled to stand trial later this year. Joshe had previously declined all interview requests. But six months after the shocking attack, he has opened up about the incident that left him fearing for his life.
“I got stabbed in the shoulder first,” the 23-year-old told BBC Sport. “I remember jumping over tables and jumping over chairs. I was running down the hallway telling people, ‘There’s a guy with a knife, run, he’s stabbed me, run, run, run.’ I was screaming. I think I was the first one to get stabbed. I felt the pain, but the adrenaline kicked in.”
Joshe, who was informed by medical staff that the knife had pierced his muscle, said some of his fellow passengers initially ignored his enthusiastic warnings as a prank, as it was the day after Halloween.
He suffered injuries to his biceps, shoulder and arm before the train made an emergency stop at Huntingdon. Joshe managed to disembark and was immediately taken to the hospital. “In that split second, jumping over the table saved me,” he added. “All I was thinking about was running for my life and getting off the train. I got into the first or second car and I set off the alarm and there was just blood all over me.
Express sports on FB! Get all the best sports news and more on our Facebook page

Jonathan Joshet spoke to BBC Sport for the first time since the horrific ordeal. (Image: BBC Sport)
“I thought if I died I’d never see my family again. That was my biggest worry. I usually drive home to London, but that was the first time I’d ever taken a train home. What are the chances of that happening? It’s crazy.”
The injury that Joshe sustained greatly damaged his career. He revealed that he initially feared that his life as a professional footballer would be over.
“I was so worried (that I was going to be asked to stop playing). All I could think was, ‘What damage did I do?'” I had no idea until I had the surgery. They said, “It’s not nerve-wracking.” you are very lucky. ”
After several months of rehabilitation, Joshe managed to return to training in March. He is now fully fit and is looking for a new club after being released by Scunthorpe earlier this month. Scunthorpe supporters have launched a GoFundMe campaign to support his recovery.
Joshe had earned his chance to shine at his former EFL club after being named Corinthians’ Young Player of the Year. Granted dual registration, he was loaned to Botsford Town to gain valuable experience and was representing the non-league side from the day he boarded the train back to London.
“Obviously, with what I’ve been through, I missed half the season… I didn’t get the opportunities I wanted,” said Joshe, who remains hopeful that other clubs will offer him the opportunity to prove himself now that he’s back to fitness.

Jonathan Joshe was among those injured in the Huntingdon train stabbing. (Image: Getty)
“I was hoping they would give me another year to prove it. But unfortunately I didn’t get that. I’m very disappointed.” When asked how he stays positive after the ordeal, Joshe replied:
“(You) can’t look back on it, you just have to move forward. I was hoping to get back into football and get that chance, that was the only thing on my mind. You only live once.
“Anything can happen…so you have to make the most of it. And that’s what makes me push every day.”
