
Southampton issue statement (Image: Simon Dael/Shutterstock)
Southampton expressed disappointment that their Spygate appeal had been rejected and reiterated their belief that the punishment was disproportionate to their indiscretions. Saints will not play in this weekend’s Championship play-off final after spying charges were brought against them by the EFL, but the final decision will be taken by an independent panel.
The club also received a four-point deduction from next season’s Championship after admitting breaching EFL rules by spying on an opposing team. That included Middlesbrough after a Southampton employee was caught in the act before the semi-final match.
The south coast club admitted it needed to rebuild trust with a number of stakeholders, but frustration was also evident in the statement. Middlesbrough face Hull City at Wembley on Saturday.
“Southampton Football Club was informed this evening that the EFL’s League Arbitration Panel has upheld the sanctions imposed earlier this week,” a statement said. “As a result, the club will not be taking part in Saturday’s Championship play-off final.
“This is a deeply disappointing outcome for everyone associated with Southampton Football Club. We know how painful this moment is for our supporters, players, staff, commercial partners and the wider community who have given us so much support throughout the season, and we once again apologize to everyone affected by this.”
“Whilst we are fully aware of the seriousness of this matter and the subsequent scrutiny, the club has consistently believed that the original sporting sanction was disproportionate, and this view has been widely shared by many in football over the past 24 hours.
“We would like to put on record our sincere thanks to our supporters for the support, patience and loyalty they have shown during an incredibly difficult time. We will share information as soon as possible regarding ticket refunds for those who have purchased Wembley tickets.”
“Southampton Football Club has a proud history and strong foundations, but it is clear that we now need to rebuild trust. That work begins immediately. The club will reflect carefully on what has happened, learn from it and take the necessary steps to move forward responsibly.”
“Tonight is a difficult moment, but this football club will respond with humility, accountability and a determination to put things right.”
Southampton lodged an appeal following Tuesday’s decision by the Independent Disciplinary Commission, but it was rejected, meaning there is no further appeal. In accordance with EFL regulations, the decision of the League Arbitration Committee is final and cannot be appealed.
Saints sought the help of Sir Panik KC, a leading lawyer in the legal battle between Manchester City and the Premier League, but it proved to be of no use. He joined Patton Boggs Squire’s Stephen Sampson and Blackstone Chambers’ Kate Garafent KC on Wednesday night to support the Saints’ cause.
Earlier in the day, Hull City owner Akun Ilikari suggested he had received legal advice that the Tigers should be given automatic promotion. But the play-off finalists are gearing up to take on Boro.
“Under normal circumstances, two teams would make it to the final and one would be disqualified,” he said. “The opinion of our lawyers is that we should appeal directly to the Premier League, but we are currently considering it. I can’t say anything definitive. It’s a bit of a sticky situation.”
