
Ivan Toney joined Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia. (Image: Getty Images)
Ivan Toney’s extraordinary goalscoring exploits this season will ensure Thomas Tuchel’s England squad a World Cup place. The Three Lions manager will announce his 26-man squad for the tournament on Friday, with the attacking selection in particular being the subject of intense debate.
The Al Ahly forward has played in 48 games this season, scoring an impressive 42 goals, including 32 in the league. A clinical finisher and extremely reliable from 12 yards, the 30-year-old could be a valuable addition to Tuchel’s side. Spearheaded by their outstanding scoring ability, Al Ahly defeated Japan’s Machida Zelbia in the final last month to claim their second consecutive AFC Champions League Elite crown.
In January 2026, Tony conducted a masterclass in an important match against Al Khaleej. With Al Ahly needing a win to move up to second place, the forward scored an impressive hat-trick in the 18th minute of the second half to break things up.
However, a fierce on-field battle to win this season’s Golden Boot broke out in March. Al Ahly suffered a crushing 3-2 defeat to Al Qadsiah, led by Brendan Rodgers. Toney calmly scored the opening goal, his 25th of the season, but tensions exploded at the final whistle.
Toni was involved in a violent physical clash and post-match altercation with Al Cadosia’s star forward Julián Quiñones, who ranks just behind him in the scoring rankings. The pair had to be separated by teammates before the problem escalated further.
Express sports on FB! Get all the best sports news and more on our Facebook page
And just a few weeks ago Toni found his rhythm again, scoring another incredible hat-trick in a 3-1 win against Al Fateh and taking the top spot in the league’s scoring list.
A key factor behind Toney’s exceptional record is his on-field partnership with Riyad Mahrez and Galeno. He benefited greatly from the former Manchester City star’s outstanding performances and creativity, turning Al Ahly into one of the most dangerous attacking lines in the division.
Tony did not hesitate to highlight what he perceived as the referee’s misconduct in Al Ahly’s 1-1 draw with Al Faiha last month. His team conceded two important points in the title race against Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al Nasr.
The 30-year-old took to Instagram to criticize several penalty appeals that were rejected during the match, and many supporters online suggested that Toney’s comments suggested Al Nasr were being deliberately given preferential treatment by match officials.

Ivan Toney returns to England squad. (Image: PA)
“Two of these acts went to VAR and one didn’t. It’s really crazy how you can overlook something like this at such an important moment or turn a blind eye. And without saying too much that might annoy me, it’s clear what’s being affected here!!!”
“I also don’t understand why the referee told us to focus on another game while VAR was in place. And it probably helps that the first penalty in over 90 minutes was awarded by the referee like this. But listen, it’s probably my fault for telling the truth and calling out questionable calls and crappy refereeing.”
In the post-match interview, a furious Toney said: “I don’t know if the referee turned off the microphone before saying what he said to me, ‘Focus on the Asian Champions League.'” That’s why we need to release the audio recording so fans can know the truth. ”
World Cup Legends: The stars of soccer’s biggest tournament in history – buy the special edition now
Tuchel is set to name three strikers in England’s World Cup squad as Toney aims to make a spectacular return to the England squad. The forward has not featured for England since playing in a friendly against Senegal last year.
Harry Kane remains the national team captain and first-choice striker, but there are still two positions left in Tuchel’s attack, and the door is wide open for Toney. Ollie Watkins will join them.
Tuchel is no stranger to Toney’s qualities, having called up the striker to the England squad for friendlies against Andorra and Senegal last year. This was the forward’s last opportunity to link up with the national team, with the German manager admitting at the time that his performances for Al Ahly were a key factor in his selection.
“He deserves to be with us and I’m convinced because he’s scored over 20 goals for the team this season. He won a big title in the Asian Champions League and made a big contribution with goals and assists,” the England manager said.
“Last time (in March), I said I would include a visit (to Saudi Arabia) in my schedule, but it wasn’t scheduled, so I thought I’d bring him (Tony) and have him travel with me.”
