Harry Maguire returned to the England squad in March after an 18-month hiatus and had hoped to play in the World Cup, but it emerged ahead of Friday’s announcement that he had been ruled out.
Manchester United star Harry Maguire has been dropped from England’s World Cup squad. Maguire, 33, said he was “disappointed and shocked” by manager Thomas Tuchel’s decision, which was revealed on the eve of the England squad being announced on Friday.
The centre-back was called up to the England squad in March and featured in both friendlies. Maguire had not played for the Three Lions since September 2024.
However, manager Tuchel commented after the camp that Maguire lacked “mobility” and was fifth in the centre-back pecking order. As first reported by talkSPORT, the England manager informed Maguire on Thursday that he would not be taking part in this summer’s North American tournament.
“After the season so far, I was confident that I could play a key role for my country this summer. I am shocked and heartbroken by this decision,” Maguire wrote on Instagram.
World Cup Legends: The stars of soccer’s biggest tournament in history – buy the special edition now
read more: Harry Maguire reveals life plans after leaving Manchester United: ‘I’ve thought about it’read more: Former Manchester United star Danny Welbeck backs last-minute call-up to England’s World Cup squad
“Over the years I have loved nothing more than wearing that shirt and representing my country and I wish the players all the best this summer.”
Tuchel is expected to announce the call-up on Friday morning and explain his thoughts at a subsequent press conference. Maguire also missed Euro 2024 due to injury and his absence could end his international career.
The 33-year-old played a key role in United’s resurgence under manager Michael Carrick, who finished third in the Premier League. However, Marc Gehi and Ezri Konsa were expected to be Tuchel’s preferred combination, and he missed out on that combination.
His absence also increases the chances that Dan Byrne and Levi Colwill will play. Injured Trevor Chalobah could also be in contention, with Tuchel saying Chelsea’s centre-back is better than Maguire.
Should Harry Maguire be in the team? Share your thoughts in the comments section.
“I haven’t changed my mind, but I think there are other players that I would like to start, and I think Konsa and Guehi are the first to go,” Tuchel explained. “I see Chalobah as being slightly above him (Maguire) in terms of mobility.
“I think other players have a different profile, like John Stones, but he had an injury and needed to come to camp.”
Maguire feared his England career was already over before he was recalled as part of the expansion team. “It was tough when I wasn’t selected after being a regular for six or seven years,” he admitted.
“I spoke to my manager and he said he was out. I called my family. My mom was on vacation and she was crying. I’m now in a position in my career where I don’t really care about myself.
“I’m 33 years old. If I can play even one minute in the World Cup and every game, I’ll do everything I can to help this country succeed.”
But that chance seems to have disappeared.
Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily Manchester United content from Mirror Football. Community members also receive special offers, promotions, and advertisements from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check it out whenever you like. If you are interested, please read our privacy notice.
Sky Sports, HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+ and Ultimate TV packages

Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundles to include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, plus 135 channels and complete coverage of the Premier League and EFL from Sky.
Sky has over 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more, with at least 215 of them live from the top flight, along with F1, darts and golf.


