
Manchester United may enter race to sign Sandro Tonali (Image: Getty)
Manchester United have reportedly prioritized Sandro Tonali over the Newcastle United midfielder as their new permanent head coach after an impressive spell at Old Trafford. According to Gianluca Di Marzio, United have chosen to focus on the Newcastle United midfielder, independent of Ederson, as the new manager looks to the Italian to begin a midfield shake-up.
The paper suggested the Magpies had a gentleman’s agreement with the midfielder, allowing him to leave if they failed to qualify for the Champions League. From a transfer perspective, the 26-year-old is thought to be available for as little as €100m (£86m), with Eddie Howe’s side facing the possibility of finishing at the bottom of the table. Newcastle play their final game of the season on Sunday, although they are behind Chelsea on goal difference, but remain 10 points adrift of Champions League places and just three points adrift of the final European places.
This has sparked fresh speculation over the future of Tonali, who is rumored to be interested in new champions Arsenal. The Italian newspaper suggested that United are eyeing a proven Premier League midfielder while maintaining interest in Atalanta’s Ederson, but Tonali is said to be a player Carrick particularly wants.
Di Marzio has reported that there is a “good chance” that a move will happen, but it remains unclear whether the transfer fee will reach 100 million euros or settle for around 80 million euros (approximately 6.9 billion yen) plus add-ons. Tonali had been the subject of speculation over his future, particularly when the Gunners were understood to be considering a bid during the January transfer window.
Eddie Howe was forced to address the issue in February, reasserting the 26-year-old’s commitment to St James’ Park. “I don’t have any problems with Sandro himself because his only focus was Manchester City and winning the game,” he said.
“I think it’s difficult to talk about something that I don’t know much about because he’s such a happy and dedicated person. All I can talk about is Sandro as a person, as a player and his mindset here and now. I talked to him yesterday and he’s totally fine.”

Sandro Tonali could be a player to watch this summer. (Image: Getty)
The Magpies head coach has previously spoken of the possibility of summer transfer business within the Thun. “From my perspective, I think we’ve been recruiting players the same way since I’ve been here, so even though the athletic director has changed, the process hasn’t changed,” he said last month.
“When recruiting a player, what’s fundamentally important is that me and the coaching team like the player and that we can think about how we can get the best out of him within the team. I think it’s unhealthy to sign a player who doesn’t fit that criteria.”
“And the club has helped me build the team I want very well. So I think since I’ve been here I’ve always said, please judge me on all the signs, not just one or two people trying to beat me with a stick. Overall, I think we’ve recruited really well. Of course there will be question marks on certain players.”
“I understand that it comes with the territory. But I’m really proud of our recruitment. A lot of effort goes into it. But every player we’ve signed, whether they’re based overseas or domestically, is one I’ve followed and supported.”
