SYDNEY (AP) – Australia’s soccer federation is preparing to make job cuts following news it expects a record budget deficit for the second year in a row, the federation’s chief executive Martin Kugeler said.
The news comes just days before Saturday’s A-League men’s grand final in New Zealand between Auckland FC and Sydney FC – the first match to be held outside Australia – and less than a month before the final. Socceroos start playing with world cup i North America.
Mr Kugeler said the cuts would not affect the men’s or women’s national teams, confirming that Football Australia would undergo a “significant reset and restructuring” to ensure it was operating within its financial constraints. The move is in response to losses exceeding last year’s record deficit of 8.5 million Australian dollars ($6 million).
Exact numbers and details will be announced at the annual general meeting on May 28th.
Local media reported that Football Australia, which employs just under 200 people, will see job cuts of up to 20 per cent. This means around 40 staff members may be affected.
“Two significant losses and an increase in losses year-over-year is clearly not a sustainable or acceptable situation,” Kugeler said.
The FA’s financial difficulties come despite Australia co-hosting the 2023 Women’s World Cup and hosting the World Cup. At the Women’s Asian Cup earlier this year, The Socceroos qualified for the World Cup for the sixth consecutive year.
Matilda and his wife 2023 World Cup Semi-Finals on the soil of my hometown attracted national attention The tournament broke records for television viewership and attendance, and the women’s soccer team became one of Australia’s most marketable sporting brands.
men’s team is expected to receive FIFA will pay a minimum of $12.5 million to participate in the World Cup, which begins on June 11.
___
AP Soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
