Harry Maguire has been left out of the England squad by manager Thomas Tuchel despite an excellent second half of the season under Manchester United manager Michael Carrick.
Harry Maguire’s mother says she is “absolutely disgusted” that her son was left out of the England squad. Maguire, 33, will not be included in Thomas Tuchel’s 26-man squad, which will be announced on Friday morning.
But after the news broke about the Manchester United star on Thursday night, he quickly confirmed his comments on social media amid anger from fans who believed he should have been called up. “After the season so far, I was confident that I could play a key role for my country this summer,” Maguire said in an Instagram post.
“I am shocked and devastated by this decision. Over the years I have loved nothing more than wearing that shirt and representing my country. I wish the players all the best this summer.”
His mother Zoe did not need many words to express her opinion. About X, she wrote, “I was really disgusted.”
World Cup Legends: The stars of soccer’s biggest tournament in history – buy the special edition now
read more: England World Cup squad live: Maguire, Palmer and Foden withdraw due to Tuchel’s brutal commentsread more: Cole Palmer and Phil Foden also become big casualties after being called up to the England squad
One of his brothers, Joe, was furious, saying, “This is probably the worst decision I’ve ever made in my life. I have no words.”
Tuchel is expected to explain his decision on Maguire at a press conference on Friday, but the centre-back won’t be the only big name missing. Cole Palmer, Phil Foden, Luke Shaw and Morgan Gibbs-White are also among the high-profile dropouts.
When Maguire was recalled to the England squad in March after an 18-month absence, it was Maguire’s mother who “started crying”. The 33-year-old said of his memories: “That’s amazing, that’s what I missed.
“It’s tough when you’ve been a regular for six or seven years and you’re not selected. I talked to the manager and he said I’d be included.
Should Harry Maguire have been called up? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.
“I called my family. My mom was on vacation and she was crying. I’m at a point in my career where I don’t really care about myself. I’m 33 years old. If I can play even one minute in the World Cup and every game, I’ll do everything I can to help this country succeed.”
But Maguire’s only playing time this summer will be during United’s pre-season. The Red Devils will travel to Europe for a number of friendlies while England battle to end a 66-year blemish in North America.
Join our new MAN UTD WhatsApp community and receive your daily Manchester United content from Mirror Football. Community members also receive special offers, promotions, and advertisements from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can always check out. If you are interested, please read our privacy notice.
read more: Paul: Cole Palmer, Harry Maguire, Phil Foden Selected from England’s World Cup squad – tell us what you think
Sign up now for the Make Football Great Again newsletter and get the latest World Cup news straight to your inbox!

