Celtic have apologized to Hearts after scenes that cast a shadow on Scotland’s title bid and caused the Edinburgh side to be swiftly ejected from the stadium.
Celtic issued a statement apologizing to Hearts and the players for the scenes that overshadowed Saturday’s title decider, insisting there was “no justifiable reason for this action”.
The Glasgow side regained the title in dramatic style, realizing they had to win to win hearts and end their fairy tale story. Daenen Maeda’s goal with three minutes left gave Celtic the lead, but the home side broke through deep in stoppage time and Callum Osmund added a third goal.
However, as he celebrated in front of the home fans, several supporters spilled onto the pitch, leading to unpleasant scenes that ultimately saw some of the visiting players targeted. Hearts will make a quick exit from Celtic Park with their players still in kit.
Celtic said they would co-operate with police and apologized for the situation, but it meant visiting players and staff were unable to pay their respects to some of the fans who traveled to Glasgow.
“The club regrets the large number of individuals who entered the match following the victory over Hearts. We once again emphasize that there is no legitimacy to this action, which only detracts from the joy of such an occasion for the majority of Celtic supporters.”
read more: Bloody Hearts star recalls harrowing moment used as human shield in Celtic violenceread more: Celtic vs Hearts ‘abandoned game’ theory explains invisible referee’s actions amid chaos
“Celtic will fully co-operate with any investigation and fully co-operate with the SPFL’s own processes. We also apologize to Hearts for the circumstances that the players and staff found themselves in at the end of the match and for the fact that these incidents prevented Celtic from saluting their supporters at the end of an attractive campaign to which they have contributed so much.”
In a statement released after returning to Tynecastle, Hearts said: “We completely condemn the disgraceful scenes at Celtic Park which have once again put Scottish football to shame.”
Hearts, who have led the league since September, added that “reports of serious physical and verbal abuse towards players and staff, both on the pitch and elsewhere” were being investigated by the club and Police Scotland.
Amid reports that Hearts players had been assaulted, the accusation was leveled at Celtic manager Martin O’Neill, who said: “I didn’t see the incident. Obviously there was a lot of commotion in the tunnel so I don’t know. If Hearts players had been assaulted by some of our fans, that would be pretty serious.”
Join our new WhatsApp community! Click this link to receive daily Mirror Football content. Community members also receive special offers, promotions, and advertisements from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check it out whenever you like. If you are interested, please read our privacy notice.
Sky Sports, HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+ and Ultimate TV packages

Sky has upgraded its Ultimate TV and Sky Sports bundles to include HBO Max, Netflix, Disney+, discovery+ and Hayu, plus 135 channels and complete coverage of the Premier League and EFL from Sky.
Sky has over 1,400 live matches across the Premier League, EFL and more, with at least 215 of them live from the top flight, along with F1, darts and golf.


