SAO PAULO (AP) – Neymar was sent off the field after an apparent error by the fourth official during Santos’ 3-0 home loss to Coritiba in the Brazilian league on Sunday, giving the star striker one last chance to make a positive impression before playing against Brazil. world cup Teams will be announced.
Neymar, 34, has struggled to stay fit since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in October 2023, and has been trying to prove himself to Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti for more than a year. He deserves to be on the team.
The incident occurred in the 65th minute. By then Coritiba were already leading 3-0 and Neymar, who has improved in recent weeks, was having a quiet game against relegation-threatened Santos.
Neymar was sprayed by doctors on his right calf on the field, but was ordered by the referee to return to the sideline to continue treatment.
Within seconds, the fourth official raised the substitution committee, indicating that number 10 Neymar was leaving. Robinho Jr.immediately took to the pitch.
“I knew Robinho was coming in, but I didn’t even see him,” Neymar said. “I didn’t know I was being substituted and I didn’t look at the board. It was a very serious mistake by the officials and the person who wrote the numbers on the board.”
Santos Coach Kuka and Neymar himself informed fourth and referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli that a mistake had been made by defender Gonzalo Escobar, who was to be substituted and wears number 31.
Zanovelli gave Neymar a yellow card for refusing to be substituted. The striker then picked up an official substitution request sheet and showed it to a broadcaster at Sao Paulo’s Neo Quimica Arena, but it had Escobar’s number written on it instead of his own.
Santos coach Cuca said at a press conference, “It’s true that (the fourth referee) made a mistake, but that wasn’t the reason for the loss. It’s unfair to blame him for this.”
The Brazilian Football Federation, which organizes the country’s league, has not yet officially commented on the incident.
Manager Ancelotti will announce his Brazil squad on Monday in Rio de Janeiro.
Brazilian media reported. Neymar’s chance The proportion of players in the 26-man quota has increased in recent years as Ancelotti is preferred by other players he is certain to bring to the World Cup.
___
AP Soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
