Liverpool fans can breathe a big sigh of relief. For now, anyway.
Star forward Mohamed Salah won’t join Al-Ittihad before Thursday’s closure of the Saudi transfer window, reports David Ornstein of The Athletic. Saudi Pro League sides have until 5 p.m. ET to sign new players.
The Egyptian superstar, 31, was reportedly the subject of a massive verbal proposal worth up to £150 million earlier in the summer, but Liverpool rejected the offer out of hand, according to Ornstein, deeming Salah untouchable.
Though a move won’t materialize before the deadline, Al-Ittihad retain serious interest in the prolific attacker. A future transfer remains a possibility due to the strong relations between all the parties, Ornstein adds.
Salah, beloved at Anfield and integral to the club’s chances of returning to the Champions League, remains “committed” to the Reds, according to his agent.
“If we considered leaving Liverpool this year, we wouldn’t have renewed the contract last summer,” Ramy Abbas Issa said in August.
“We cannot (sell Salah). That’s how it is. Nothing else to say,” manager Jurgen Klopp said last week amid reports of Al-Ittihad’s mammoth offer, which reportedly arrived on deadline day for European clubs to make new signings.
Selling Salah without having time to procure a replacement always seemed unlikely from Liverpool’s perspective. But with months to prepare before upcoming transfer windows, the Reds could conceivably sanction a deal if they identify someone who could help mitigate the loss of the Egyptian.