Date published: Thursday 6th August 2020 1:13
Liverpool have backed off from a move for Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara to formulate a savings plan that will allow them to finance a deal, according to a report.
Several reports have linked the Reds with Spain international Thiago in recent months. The 29-year-old is looking for a new adventure having refused a new contract in Bavaria.
As for his next destination, Thiago is reportedly fond of working at Anfield under Jurgen Klopp. The feeling is mutual, with Klopp an admirer of the midfielder.
However, Klopp has previously insisted that his side’s spending plans this summer remain uncertain. The Reds, like many top clubs, have suffered from a lack of revenue in recent months.
According to German source Kicker (via Sport Witness), Liverpool have registered their interest in Thiago but are yet to go further. The source says the club must first decide on a host of savings measures to ease their financial concerns.
Kicker adds that Liverpool could make savings through player sales, putting forward Naby Keita as one who could go.
The Guinea international has struggled for consistency since joining in 2018 due to a string of small injuries. However, he impressed after the Premier League’s restart with several top performances.
Indeed, he scored a fantastic long-range strike to help Liverpool beat Chelsea 5-3 before they lifted the title.
LIVERPOOL’S THIAGO CONCERNS
What’s more, Kicker says Liverpool harbour two specific concerns about pressing ahead with a move for Thiago.
They want to make sure Thiago would fit into Klopp’s plans, given their strength in midfield. Liverpool also fear about the Spaniard’s injury record proving a problem.
Thiago has suffered six different injuries in the past two seasons, albeit not long-term problems.
The midfielder would not be the first player Liverpool have shown concerns about. The Reds ended their interest in Nabil Fekir in 2018 at the final hour due to his knee problems.