Arsenal had initially hoped to announce the signing of Jurrien Timber from Ajax ahead of Thursday night’s pre-season friendly against FC Nurnberg.
Unfortunately, Football.London report that a small contract issue delayed the formal confirmation of the deal, and Timber now won’t be involved in the match.
The good news is that the Gunners are reportedly optimistic about confirming the deal tomorrow, with the player having already done his media duties for the announcement.
Arsenal fans will already be aware of that, after a picture of Timber in the club shirt leaked on social media earlier this week.
Timber has said his goodbyes back in the Netherlands, with his family holding him a farewell party last week.
But Arsenal never announce these deals before all the details are completely sorted.
Timber has signed a deal with Arsenal lasting until 2028, and he’ll be joining for a fee of €40m (£34.3m) plus €5m (£4.3m) in bonuses described as “largely realistic”.
The 22-year-old made 47 appearances for Ajax in the 2022/23 campaign, and he’s also a Dutch international, playing 15 times for the national team.
The defender is currently waiting for the all-clear to link up with Mikel Arteta’s squad, and it now looks like he’ll do so in time to join them on tour in the USA.
Arsenal’s Pre-Season Fixtures and Results
- Saturday, July 8th – Arsenal 1-1 Watford (Behind closed doors)
- Thursday, July 13th, 18:00 – FC Nurnberg vs Arsenal
- Thursday, July 20th, 01:30 – MLS All-Stars vs Arsenal
- Saturday, July 22nd, 22:00 – Arsenal vs Manchester United
- Wednesday, July 26th, 03:30 – Arsenal vs Barcelona
- Wednesday, August 2nd, 18:00 – Arsenal vs Monaco
- Sunday, August 6th, 16:00 – Arsenal vs Manchester City
Times in BST